Recently one of my coworkers was having an issue where some of our code running over at heroku was consuming a massive amount of memory. One of the tools I was looking at to help troubleshoot this was the python memory profiler. While I was loading a newer copy of our data set my co-worker identified the root cause of the issue, so we didn’t end up using this tool. That said, I found the information in provided while profiling code incredibly interesting, and potentially useful in the future. Read the rest of this post »
Let’s say you’ve been rolling around the country bartering some light web work for whatever favor fancies you. Several months later you find yourself in maintenance hell with a million wordpress installations that all need to be updated. Let me help you. Set up a multiuser install of WordPress and save yourself some headache. Read the rest of this post »
This post starts out with a little bit of an embarrassing story, followed with a script you can use to delete everyone you are following on twitter. A couple years ago, I signed up for twitter because hey, someone once squatted my firstname.lastname@example.org email address and I wanted to reserve my twitter name. I had no interest in actually doing twitter. I just wanted the virtual real estate (and why isn’t that virtual estate?). Fast forward a couple years, and I check out my twitter account, and low and behold I am following close to 2,000 people. Someone had hacked my account, and was selling my following off to the masses. Unfortunately, there is no bulk delete option on twitter, and it would take an incredibly long time to delete that many people. Read the rest of this post »
This morning we milled around the house getting over our jet lag. In the afternoon we walked down to the river close to the house with Dhanarathna. It was incredibly hot. I think Sri Lanka is hotter now then when I was last here in December–or it’s also possible I’ve gotten more accustomed to AC living, or was almost exclusively at the beach last time.
We spend most of the morning planning the rest of our trip. Emma brought the 2012 Sri Lanka Lonely Planet guide book. Read the rest of this post »
We landed in Colombo today. Read the rest of this post »
Recently I saw Evan Bailyn from First Page Sage speak at our CEO’s local Vistage meeting about SEO. I found that his presentation was in line with what I have come to understand about SEO from working with various other SEO vendors: content is king; don’t deceive google, or your customers; and get people to link you. Read the rest of this post »
In 2010 I did a presentation at the Epicor Perspectives conference. In the presentation I talked a little bit about our how we used their back end web services to build a front end website.
Included in the presentation are some slides:
- Demonstrating basic concepts of an n-tier architecture.
- Showing the software’s stock UI
- Showing the simpler homegrown UI that we built
- Some code samples on how to get, update and delete the data from Epicor’s web services.
You can download my Epicor Perspectives 2010 Presentation here. This presentation is a bit sparse with out the talking points behind it–feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
We went apple picking on the last day of the season over at Rock Hill Orchard on 10/27/2012. Their trees were pretty young, which was a little disappointing. I can’t tell if in my youth apple trees were gigantic because I was small, or if they were actually relatively large trees. Read the rest of this post »
- 4 creates of peaches (owe my back)
Pealed and pitted the peaches. Next time I think I will need to cut out the inner red part of the peach–it provides a bit of bitterness that could be avoided. 4 boxes of peaches fits in roughly 10 gallons of bucket.
Boiled 2 gallons of water, and put about one in each container. In addition, I added 2 crushed campden tablets, and 2 1/2 teaspoons of pectic enzyme to each container. Let it sit over night. A peachy clear liquid will separate to the bottom, with a peach sludge at the top. The peach sludge had a pretty significant amount of liquid left in it that was not salvaged this go around. I mixed champaign yeast with some warm water and a bit of the peach juice run-off for a starter and pitched it.
Original Gravity: 1.036 — This is disappointing, and similar to the numbers I got last time (though slightly higher).
Notes for next time:
4 boxes of peaches is sufficient, but do not add any more water then necessary for blending. Get two large cheese cloth bag to filter all the blended peach through, and make sure to gently squeeze out the liquid–hopefully this will raise the OG. The bucket with the spigot on it leaks if left full of liquid over night–make sure the washer is tight prior to filling. An open container is most likely necessary in order to squeeze out the peach pulp–two open containers will be necessary for 4 boxes of fruit.
10/21/2012 update: Bottled with a Final Gravity of 1.01
11/4/2012 update: Bottles have settled out more to about half way. I’m thinking next time I will need to let it sit for at least 3 months in a fermenter.